5 Reasons I Chose Roma
1. The last time Roma won the Scudetto was way back in the 2000/2001 season.
Back then, the squad boasted talents like Cafu, Aldair, Walter Samuel, Cristiano Zanetti, Marcos Assunção, Hidetoshi Nakata, Emerson, Vincenzo Montella, Gabriel Batistuta and of course, the prodigal son himself, Francesco Totti.
Last season, Eusebio Di Francesco gave quite a good account of himself in terms of league standings, finishing 3rd but when you consider what Luciano Spalleti did in the season just before that, which was finishing 2nd, surely that has to be seen as a step in the wrong direction.
Take into account also that a prestigious club like Roma has only won the Scudetto thrice in their entire proud history.
It is time for history to be rewritten.
2. Roma's performance in the Champions League last season was definitely something to be proud of. They managed to reach the semi-finals where they were eventually beaten by Liverpool but it was the journey to reach that stage that swells the Romans with pride.
The Giallorossi won the Group of Death which featured Chelsea, Atletico Madrid and Qarabag.
They came from behind in the Round of 16 against Shakhtar Donetsk to progress to the Quarter Finals where they met the mighty Barcelona; they were trumped 4-1 at the Nou Camp.
But La Lupa's grit, determination and resilience saw them overturn that massive deficit against the Catalans by thrashing them 3-0 in the return leg at the Stadio Olimpico.
Despite those heroic performances, one statistic is still hard to swallow for many Giallorossi; they have never won the Champions League.
And that is the second reason why I have chosen Roma.
3. If we were to ignore the Serie A and the Champions League, Roma has not won anything since 2008; that was the last time the club lifted the Coppa Italia. They had won this trophy 9 times in their illustrious history but even then, they are still a distance away from the team that has the most Coppa Italia.
Juventus has lifted it 13 times.
4. Er Bimbo de Oro (The Golden Boy). L'Ottavo Re di Roma (The Eighth King of Rome). Er Pupone (The Big Baby). Il Capitano (The Captain). Il Gladiatore (The Gladiator).
It is time to groom the next Francesco Totti.
5. This last one is a bonus. As I was looking through the many fierce rivals and derbies that this club has (according to the FM database), guess which team was listed amongst it as 'historic fierce rival'.