North Korea v Germany
German Team News:
Bastian Schweinsteiger and Sami Khedira miss out due to injuries. Beckenbauer gives a first call up for promising goalkeeper Timo Horn while there is no place for World Cup wonderkid Erik Durm
North Korean Team News: Cha Jong-Hok may miss the game due to a slight injury, while Kim Jong-Hun picks a relatively inexperienced team as most of the existing squad are in their mid-thirties.
Germany will look to make a real statement after a disappointing World Cup , playing a team with the lack of quality such as North Korea will install confidence before the trip to Georgia in four days time.
Germany ( 4-1-2-1-2):
Neuer ; Lahm , Hummels , Badstuber Jansen; Bender ; Kroos , Westermann ; Ozil ; Gotze , Podolski
North Korea (4-5-1):
: Gil , Il , Ik , Jin , Chol ; Chol , Jo , Chol , , Jun , Il ; Hyok
Match Day Live
1) North Korea kick off with many of the home fans optimistic that they will beat an out of sorts German team. Kim Jong-Un is positioned in the royal box to the left us.
8) GOLLLLL! The home fans turn into a wall of abuse as Jin’s mistake allows Jansen down the left to supply Podolski with a simple tap in at the far post. N.Korea 0-1 Germany
11) Gotze hits the post after good link up play with Podolski , Bender won the ball back after an attempted Korean break away who threaded an eye of the needle pass to Ozil , the Arsenal playmaker played a delightful long ball over the top which ended with Gotze hitting the outside of the woodwork
20) GOLLLLLLL! PODOLSKI! LUKAS! PODOLSKI! North Korea gain fail to retain possession allowing Kroos this time to pick it up and after his initial shot was saved Podolski grabs his second goal of the game. N.Korea 0-2 Germany
25) Hyok has North Korea’s first shot of the game after a long bouncing goal kick by Il, cue raptures applause by the home fans. However a political banner to our left is a stark warning of what the North thinks of its counterparts in the south. Claiming the Yellow Sea is there’s and shouldn’t be shared.
34) After eleven passes around the midfield and defence , Ozil penetrates the shocked Korean defence and finds Gotze who’s shot is easily pushed round the post for a corner
44) Park Chol rifles a volley destined for the top corner but Neuer beautifully glides and pushes it over the bar for a corner
HALF TIME: N.Korea 0-2 Germany
46) Germany get the second half underway , while Kim Jong-Un has left his royal box and has proceeded to leave the stadium.
47) Marco Reus replaces Ozil while Kevin Trapp makes his National Team debut and replaces Neuer in goal
60) Marco Reus sees his tame effort saved after a mazy Westermann run that sees the midfielder skip past 4 players before crossing it in for Dortmund’s Reus
66) Jansen is growing into this game the Left back catches onto Lahm’s cross field pass and his effort is tipped round the post. There are 4 German Away fans here who are all members of FIFA’s Congress Committee.
67) GOLLLLLL! BADSTUBER!!!! From the resulting corner a fine Reus corner is met firmly by the centre back’s head and his header beats the stranded N.Korean keeper at his near post. North Korea 0-3 Germany
76} GOLLLLLL! REUSSSSSS! MARCO!!!! REUSSSSS! Reus’ day is deservedly capped off by a sublime 25 yard curling shot after a quick counter from Westermann and Gotze. North Korea 0-4 Germany
81) Substitute Tu-Young races away from a tired Hummels but his shot is well over the bar but is met by roars of laughter after it spills one of the German diplomat’s coffees
84) LUKAS!!!!! PODOLSKIIIII! LUKAS!!!! Podolski grabs his hat trick after Ozil and Jansen combine down the left, with Marcell again supplying another header for Podolski. North Korea 0-5 Germany
FULL TIME: North Korea 0-5 Germany
Post Match Reaction
We came into the game knowing we needed a performance and that’s exactly what we gave out there, Lukas was obviously the stand out player but a lot of that was thanks to the brilliant service our wing backs gave him particularly Jansen , it’s the first time he’s played under me but I can guarantee if he plays like that nearly every game he can challenge for the left back spot.
The boys were fantastic out there tonight , We were all in shock about the World Cup but Franz has changed the team and we’ve all clicked , our fans back home should be very proud of us coming to a place of uncertainty like this and performing under the scrutiny of not just the football world , but the whole world to see how a changing North Korea accepts westerners was always on our mind. Kim Jong-Un came and spoke limited German to us before the game and he was very welcoming. I hope for FIFA and diplomatic relations that North Korea are viewed in a more positive light and more teams get to play in this unknown but beautiful city.