Let's take the "fm dark" skin as an example.
Until FM 15.1, you'd have this inside skins folder:
…\fm dark\fm dark.xml
The new format for 15.2 is now this:
Any folder with the skin_config.xml will be discovered, but there is an extra step required for the skin to work properly.
The folder name of the skin is now defined within the skin_config.xml itself with a line like this:
<string id="skin_name" value="fm dark" />
This value is important as it's used to find a skin, and required to work in FM 15.2.
In 15.2, if a skin is set, and isn't found through the new skin discovery mechanism, it will fall back to the games default skins so any pre-existing 3rd party skin someone may be using would have their skin changed to the default until their 3rd party skin is updated, and can then be re-selected.
Credit: Lucas Weatherby @ SI forums
Instructions for non tech-savvy users
- Locate the skin folder here:
Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2015 > skins >
- Inside the skin's folder, locate the XML file with the same name.
For example if your skin is fm2015flutskin, you will see a file called fm2015flutskin.xml
- Rename that file to skin_config.xml and then open it with a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++
- Find and copy the following string of code:
<string id="name" value="FM 2015 Flut Skin" />
- Paste it below and change the value of the id tag to be skin_name and also change the value of the value tag to be the folder name of the skin:
<string id="skin_name" value="fm2015flutskin" />
- File > Save and exit the text editor program
If the skins are now selectable but they won't load, try clearing the cache folder inside this folder:
App Data > Roaming > Local > Football Manager 2015 >