Liverpool Sanctioned for Irregular Paymentshttp://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03010/luis-suarez-reuter_3010915b.jpg
Accusations of Irregular payments surrounding Suarez' move to Anfield have brought the club crashing to it's knees
When a new season comes around, fans should be proclaiming loudly about how many expensive, talented players their club are going to sign - how this year is their year, how, although nothing is really different, their side are going to be champions by the end of the season. Not at Anfield.
Reports emerging from Merseyside are suggesting that Liverpool have been sanctioned by FIFA, following an investigation into reports of irregular payments to the agents of Luis Suarez, who has recently departed the club to play for Barcelona, and Mario Balotelli, the man signed to be his replacement. It has been alleged that, while trying to close both of these deals, negotiating parties from the Anfield club made payments directly to the agents, which FIFA have ruled to be bribes, and charged the Reds with bringing the game into disrepute.
The sanctions facing Liverpool now are huge, with many describing them as "some of the toughest ever". But what exactly does that mean?
- Liverpool are to be relegated to the Conference North, with Immediate Effect
- A transfer embargo is placed upon the club, with no incoming or outgoing activity permitted until the club has regained it's status in England's Fourth Tier (League Two)
- The contracts of all senior players at the club are to be terminated with immediate effect.
So what does this mean for Liverpool?
Well, the definition of Senior Player was interesting; "players who have, or could reasonably be in contention for, a regular (10+ games per season) first team place, including those players who are regular substitutes, or train regularly as a first-team squad player"
Essentially, Liverpool have been left with little more than a youth team to restore their reputation; but the ramifications of this decision do not end there - the wider English League system is affected, as outlined below.
- Derby County are promoted to the Premier League
- Leyton Orient are promoted to the Championship
- Burton Albion are promoted to League 1
- Gateshead are promoted to League 2
- Guiesely are promoted to the Conference Premier
- Everton shall take Liverpool's Place in the Champions League
- By virtue of Fair Play, West Ham United are allocated Everton's place in the Europa League
We await further news surrounding Liverpool's reaction to these sanctions, and will bring you more news on this, as it happens