Over the past couple of years Sports Interactive made me fall in love with their Football Manager series, resulting in many thousands of hours trying to manage my way to the top. The only thing I could imagine to expand the Football Manager experience even more was the idea of a playing-style without numeric attributes.
Inspired by Cleon’s “The no attribute way”, wkdsouls bars- and attributeless-skin as well as Oliver Jensen’s article on “how to play without attributes” back in FM19, I finally decided to try myself in creating a non-numeric attributes-skin with the release of Football Manager 21.
At the moment, I honestly can't imagine playing FM with numeric attributes in the near future again. One year ago, there was StarAttributes22 and of course we're back for the new Football Manager.
So here we go, this is StarAttributes23.1...
How to make it work after Downloading1. Put "StarAttributes23.1" in your skin-folder
2. Open Football Manager, go to Preferences, choose "StarAttributes23.1" and reload skin -> now player and staff profiles show stars, while the different views still show numeric attributes.
3. Exit Football Manager and reopen for person properties.xml to load.
4. Finally custom views as well as specific player role views show non-numeric attributes.
Star Attributes Skin Preview
- Creating a manager shows numeric attributes, but they'll be displayed as stars in your profile once you start your career.
- Adjust the thresholds in the custom skin colour-section and define the areas covering an excellent, good, average or low attribute on your personal preferences without any problem in-game.
- Customise the colour of the stars by following the step-by-step instructions below.
How to customise the colour of the attribute stars1. Go to Preferences/Advanced/All and make sure "Use caching to decrease page loading time" is unticked.
2. Choose another skin than "StarAttributes" in your FM Preferences, for example the default Football Manager skin.
3. Go to StarAttributes folder in your skins section and temporarily remove the properties-folder.
4. Open the StarAttributes settings.xml and adjust the rgb-code in <!-- Profile attribute colours --> for the particular attribute in:
5. Save the xml file, make StarAttributes the skin of your choice again and reload.
6. Now go back to your skins folder and put the properties folder back into StarAttributes.
7. Close and restart Football Manager for properties.xml to properly reload.
- I am not an advanced skin editor. Thanks to the Skinning Hideout community on SI forums and their awesome guides I was able to enjoy working on this and I hope it can somehow contribute to this awesome Football Manager series.
- You can use these panels for your private usage of course. If there are plans on releasing a skin using my panels, please feel free to send me a message and ask for permission first, since it was a lot of work.
- This skin was developed in Full Screen Window Mode and a resolution of 2560 x 1440 (Standard Size 100%).
- While creating StarAttributes23.1, I used the Cut Out Player Faces Megapack by @sortitoutsi and the FMT Stadium Superpack by @geordie1981
- Huge thanks @michaeltmurrayuk for his Scoreboard Mod, based on which I replaced the letters with club badges in the match score panel and especially for everything he's doing for the Skinning-community.
- Special thanks @wkdsoul for giving me permission to include his star-graphic in order to make this skin available for the community as well.
- @GIMN, whose work on the incredible Mustermann-skin encouraged me to try something different as well.
- @Wozzie for his awesome Tato-skin and especially his approach to implement information on left and right foot ability on the tactics-screen.
- @FMEnhanced for his work on the FME_Zealand-skin, which has been a huge inspiration to me.
- (all) numeric attributes replaced by a star with its colour depending on a certain threshold (low, average, good and excellent)
- now you can distinguish between un-scouted and low attribute values, however the colour of a star can change with an increase in player knowledge
- player- and staff-comparison rearranged
- overhaul in player- and staff-search with the intention to use the advanced search and statistical data to identify potential transfer targets
- removed any information of numerical player development
- custom views as well as specific player role views show non-numeric attributes
- left and right foot ability instead of preferred foot in player overview
- added coach report information (pros and cons) to player profile as well as information on nation trained in and club trained at
- replaced letters with club badges in match score panel
- added attributes, season stats and contract info to the scouting centre
- new club overview including league table and history, stadium pictures, manager stats, last starting eleven and trophies won
- player faces and information on left and right foot ability as well as on condition and match sharpness on the tactics screen
- implemented coaching, recruitment and medical team list to staff overview
I hope you'll enjoy it the way I do