*Note - Title will be changed when the manager is announced
Premier League club Everton have sacked Spanish manager Roberto Martinez after three years in charge at Goodison Park.
Martinez's side, 12th in the Premier League, were beaten 3-1 by champions Leicester on Saturday and lost 3-0 at Sunderland on Wednesday. The Toffees lost in the semi-finals of the FA Cup and League Cup this season.
The club praised the Spaniard, 42, for his "utmost integrity and dignity", describing him as a "great ambassador" who played a "key role" in developing young players.
A statement on Thursday confirming the decision said Everton "would like to place on record their thanks for the dedication and commitment Roberto has shown during his three seasons".
They have won just five league games at home all season and are guaranteed to finish with their lowest points tally at Goodison Park since the introduction of three points for a win in 1981.
Former Everton player and current under-21 coach David Unsworth and ex-boss Joe Royle, who also played for the Toffees for eight years, will take temporary charge for the final game of the season against Norwich City on Sunday.
There have been an increasing number of protests against Martinez from supporters at recent home matches.
A banner saying "Time to go Roberto" was flown over Goodison during the 2-1 win over Bournemouth on 30 April, while some Everton fans remained inside the ground for more than an hour after the match to protest against Martinez and chairman Bill Kenwright. A 4-0 loss to Liverpool and FA Cup semi-final defeat by Manchester United at Wembley came within four days of each other. Martinez had previously stated that they would be "defining" fixtures for his side.
He promised to deliver Champions League football when he was appointed to replace David Moyes in the summer of 2013 and he finished fifth in his first season in charge with 72 points - the most achieved by Everton since they last won the league title in 1986-87. Last season they slipped to 11th.
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman's odds to be the next Everton boss have been slashed following a surge of bets on the Dutchman.
Sky Bet have reported heavy backing for Koeman to take the vacant Goodison Park position over the last 24 hours, consequently cutting his odds from 11/1 to just 1/2.
Reports suggest that majority investor Farhad Moshiri is promising a significant transfer budget and is willing to double the wages that Dutchman Koeman is currently on at St Mary's.
Sky Bet's Dale Tempest said: "We've seen relentless support for Koeman to get the job throughout the day despite significantly cutting his odds.
"You'd imagine Everton would have to be offering significant financial incentives to attract Koeman, which will be music to the ears of the Goodison Park faithful after a tough campaign."
Former Everton defender David Weir has admitted that he'd like to manage the Goodison Park club.
According to a number of Everton fan pages and web forums, the Scot has been approached by Everton chairman Bill Kenwright and could well be the new manager of Everton. However, Weir himself has denied that this is the case in a statement released on the Rangers official website and his own personal Twitter page.
The statement read: "I can wholeheartedly deny that I have received any approach form Everton Football Club. If Everton do want to approach me, it is up to them to go through the proper channels which means that they first need to approach the chairman. I'm currently employed by Rangers and my future is up to them."
"That doesn't mean that I don't want the chance," added Weir.
"If Everton and Rangers can agree terms then I'd love to manage Everton. I have a big fondness for Everton after my time there as a player and I believe that I could do a great job as their manager. We'll have to wait and see what happens."
West Ham manager Slavan Bilic has been linked to a return to former club Everton as their new manager.
The Croatian spent two years at Goodison Park after joining them for a fee of £4.5million in 1997. During his time at Goodison, Bilic played 28 times under both Howard Kendall and Walter Smith. He was released in July 1999.
Bilic is now being linked to a move back to his former employers after the Merseyside club sacked previous manager Roberto Martinez.
So far, Bilic has had a relatively successful managerial career, managing Lokmotiv Moscow, Besiktas, West Ham and the Croatian national team. During his time as Croatia boss, his side famously beat England home and away to ensure that England failed to qualify for Euro 2008.
He has been manager of West Ham since June 2015 and managed West Ham to 7th place in the Premier League last season.
Everton have approached Southampton boss Ronald Koeman about becoming their new manager, according to reports.
The talks have been led by majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri and the club now have to agree compensation before the talks can progress.
Compensation is believed to be in the region of £3m but it is understood the deal is very much in its early stages and that a short list of candidates remains in operation at Goodison Park.
Everton would be prepared to pay Koeman an annual salary in the region of £6m and give him around £100m to spend on squad strengthening. It is thought that Moshiri has detailed his long-term vision to Koeman, including transfer budget and stadium plans in a bid to convince him join.
You are reading "Everton Story (Full title coming soon)".