Welcome to the Real Names Fix project for Football Manager 2018.
You don't have to start a new save for this to work, except for Brazilian clubs.
An fmscout.com EXCLUSIVE
This is an essential add-on for your game. Due to licensing issues, vanilla FM18 contains fake names for some players, teams and competitions. With this add-on and the instructions below you can fix that and enjoy FM18 with real names.
FM18 Real Names Corrected
- All playable club names from all continents
- All major league clubs
- All non-playable Europe top league club names
- Almost all minor leagues names
- All continental and national competition names
Note - there are now two versions of this fix to choose from.
The first is Daniel's, which unfortunately has not been updated since 2015 and so contains some out of date information. The second is from Carlos, created this year. Carlos has decided on more concise names, anglicised text, and the removal of competition sponsors (ie Serie A TIM is simply Serie A, Sky Bet Championship is simply Championship).
Brazilian clubs have three-letter names in my game. How do I fix?
Hardcoding means games created BEFORE applying this fix will always have three-letter Brazil names. Names will only be correct on games created AFTER applying the fix.
I applied the fix, but I'm still seeing wrong names.
Please note that when you try to start a new save, you will still see wrong names for three Spanish clubs during the career setup, but once you select your club and start playing, the names will be correct.
Ajax staff. Gaaaaaaaaaah
The latest licence SI decided not to pay for. We haven't got a fix - has anyone else?
Why doesn't this work?
It does work. You're doing it wrong.
FM 2018 Name Fix Preview
If you find errors in translation/names or need a fix for other club/league/competition names, please post a comment below. Carlos will attempt to act on all queries.
Fixing fake club and competition names
- Quit the game.
- Find the "1810" folder.
\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\data\db\1810\Mac:
/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Football Manager 2018/data/db/1810/
- Open the "lnc" folder and then enter the "all" sub-folder. It will look like this:
- Delete the highlighted 3 files:
- Place "Daniel FM18 Fix.lnc" and "Daniel FM18 Club Names.lnc", or "Carlos FM18 Club Names.lnc" and "Carlos FM18 Fix.lnc" inside this folder, so it will look like this:
- Go 2 folders back to find the "edt" folder. Open it and then enter the "permanent" sub-folder. It will look like this:
- Delete the highlighted file "fake.edt".
This will fix Danny Blind from getting renamed to Jan Jansen.
- Again go 2 folders back, this time to find the "dbc" folder. Open it and then enter the "permanent" sub-folder. It will look like this:
- Delete the 3 highlighted files:
- forbidden names.dbc
- Important: I have updated screenshots and instructions for the last database update (1810), so they apply only if you start a new save with the 18.1.0 Data Update. If your saved game is from the FM18 Beta, you need to apply the same steps to the 1800 folder as well.
- Open Football Manager 2018 and enjoy real names.
Real Names Fix Video Tutorial
Where is Application Support folder on Mac OS XMac users who have trouble locating their Application Support folder, please follow these steps:
- Open the "Go to Folder" menu
- Enter the path of the Application Support folder
- Copy the following path and paste it into the "Go to Folder" input field.
- Finally click "Go" to go to the folder.