Football Manager 2020 being a Google Stadia launch title means that Sports Interactive are expanding their market because the full-fat version of Football Manager has been an option only on PC so far.
Stadia will make it possible to experience Football Manager on the small screen because it’s a streaming service, allowing FM enthusiasts to have whatever league set up they want regardless of the capabilities of their own devices.
The drawbacks though are quite significant, especially for those of us who consider modding an essential aspect of the game itself.
Google Stadia launch date & costsStadia will offer two tiers of service, a free Base level and a monthly subscription Pro level. The Pro tier will be approximately US$10 per month, but allows users to access higher streaming rates, access a library of free games over time, and get discounts on other games offered for Stadia.
However, the launch of the premium Founder’s Edition has been set for November 2019 and will be sold for $129, while the launch of the free edition won't happen before next year. If you don't want to invest in the premium Founder's Edition of Stadia in November, you can wait for the Base Edition sometime in 2020.
Google Stadia Pros & Cons for Football Manager gamersIf your computer has low specs and you don't want to splash the cash on a new one, Google Stadia can be a good option for you. Otherwise, I'd personally wait until pros outweigh the cons.
Pros- You can play in the browser, even on a mediocre laptop
- You can play the full game on some smartphones (Google Pixel initially)
- 3D match engine might improve in the long run as low-spec users won't be an issue
Cons- Initial investment of $129 for the premium Founder's Edition in November, or wait for the free base edition sometime in 2020
- Initial investment covers the first 3 months of subscription; after that you'll have to pay $10/month
- Streaming the game means you won't be able to install any mods (graphics, names fix, custom databases)
- You'll need fast internet, at least 10 Mbit/s for 720p 60 fps, 20 Mbit/s for 1080p 60 fps, and 35 Mbit/s for 4K 60 fps
- You cannot play offline
- If FM is the only game you play, the overall cost of Stadia won't make much sense
- Stadia's network play will only be Stadia to Stadia. As a Stadia player you will not be able to join a network game running via Steam and vice-versa.
Sources: SI Forums, Stadia subreddit, Wikipedia
Football Manager 2020 Fan Page on Facebook
Follow our dedicated FM 2020 page on Facebook.