The national teams of Germany and Japan have fake players in Football Manager 2016 due to licensing issues that Sports Interactive and SEGA have been unable to resolve through the years.
As a result there are certain files within the FM16 installation folders that prevent you from managing the aforementioned national teams and also exclude real players showing up in their rosters.
Fixing this problem is as simple as deleting these files, but you will have to start a new save-game for the fix to take effect.
Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ football manager 2016 \ data \ db \ 1630 \ lnc \ all
[username] > library > Application support > Steam > steamapps > common > football manager 2016 > data > db > 1630 > lnc > all
Here you will find 5 files.
Delete the following 3:
You need to repeat this process with the 1601 update folder if you don't want to use the official Winter Update.
Once you're done deleting the license files, start a new save game.
Here is the complete list of what gets unlocked:
- National teams of Germany and Japan become playable.
- Enable player pics for national teams of The Netherlands and France.
- Fix real name of Oliver Kahn (he's with nickname Jens Mustermann).
- Fix names for various Danish, Swedish and French competitions.
- Restore real players for the team Albirex Niigata (Singapore).
- Fix colors and names for various clubs, stadiums, cities in Asian countries.
You might be interested in our exclusive FM16 Real Names Fix, that will updated competitions, clubs and awards with their real names.