This is an update to the FM23 version of this fictional database.
With this update, I'm expanding our little Kingdom. Palgavia is joining the Kingdom of Morgsthia, as an autonomous region of Morgsthia. We'll see in a moment on the map that it is an island located between Iceland and Morgsthia. Its name is again a made up name I came up with for a story I'm trying to write, and as far as I know it doesn't mean anything in any language.
Palgavia's flag is heavily inspired by the flag of Greenland. But I didn't want to just recolor an existing flag template this time, so I changed it a little bit. In my mind, this country is supposed to be a mountainous one (because I named a lot of clubs after imaginary mountains), so instead of a circle I used a triangle which represents the mountains. And the colors are the same as Morgsthia's like Greenland's flag has the same colors as Denmark's, referencing the ties between the two. Let's now see our countries on the world map.
Country speaks their own language called Palsk, as well as Morgsthia's official language Morgsk. But now that they are part of the Kingdom, Morgsthia also recognizes Palsk as an official language. Yet, these two languages aren't similar. Since the country is also close with Iceland, there are traces of Icelandic. But while I was creating this language, Finnish language was on my mind, so one may think that this is an imaginary extension of Finnish. It is added to the game in Uralic Language family, under Finno-Ugric group and North subgroup. But luckily, it is not as hard as Finnish to learn
Below is the city map of Palgavia. Country consists 18 cities, Gammelstad being its capital. I'm not sure if I have shared city map of the original country Morgsthia, but if you're interested you can see it here. Again, the names are mostly made up, except a couple of them. For example: Roligstrand basically means "Quiet, calm beach", or Grönfjell means "Green Field", it's just for concept purposes. "Berhelmer" derived after a special Giant in Norse Mythology: Bergelmir. Gammelstad is just another easteregg i put in the DB regarding my hometown, means "Old city" (My homecity's name's literal translation is also "Old City"). Today at the information nobody cares Okay, I'll shut up and move on.
Okay, now the game-related stuff. Below is the summary of what's new with this update.
A little clarification is needed here I think. The country's national team is playable (replacing Kazakhstan (sorry Kazakhstan) in the international tournements), but there are no leagues in the country. The new teams are based in Palgavia but they are competing in the Morgsthia's pyramid. There are several reasons for that.
First one being that I wanted to expand the existing league structure and teams of Morgsthia. But since Morgsthia has only 13 cities and already 54 teams, it felt like adding new ones on top of that feels a bit extreme. I mean, how many cities are there which have like 10 different professional clubs? Not many, right?. Hence, I figured that I'll need new cities. And if I'm creating new cities, why not make it a different country? Because I enjoy this kind of creative path.
This brings us to the technical reason; the way that the editor works is limiting. You can only make one country playable in one file. That's alright, we can do a seperate file for each country, right? Well yes, but actually no.
I don't really want to go deep in the technical aspects, but it would make everything harder, and I'm not even sure if it would work, at this point. But thinking about it, this mod comes with ridiculous amount of graphics, they need to be mapped according to the ID numbers, and seperating countries into different files would probably mess up everything.
Another reason is, since this new country is supposed to be a small autonomous region, it makes sense that they didn't want to create a league structure when the mainland is not far and it already has a fine, working system. Or they simply thought that, "Okay, football in Morgsthia is well-developed. We can raise better players if we play among them."
And it is not new or unique for foreign based clubs to play in another country's league structure. For example, Swansea is based in Wales but plays in English League Pyramid. Starting from that, why not build a whole country following this logic, especially when it suits you
To sum all up; 3 New Leagues were added under the existing Morgsthian League Structure. Clubs are based in Palgavia (they are producing players with Palsk nationality) but they are playing in Morgsthia. So this DB does not offer two seperate league structures presented in a single file. But the national teams of both countries are playable.
The League levels from top to down goes like this:
Eliteligaen > Liga 2 > Liga 3 > Mesterligaen > Regionsliga 2 > Regionsliga 3
* The mascot of Morgsthia was a yellow dragon, and the mascot of the Palgavia is a fox.
*Mesterligaen means "Master's League", and Regionsliga means "Regional League". But they are not implemented to the game as regional leagues, they are regular leagues.
Two new Cups were added, and slight changes regarding the participants were made on the existing Morgsthian Cups. And the prize money is now more rewarding.
#Teams participating in the cups have been changed like this:
Kongepokal(King's Cup) (Main FF Cup)
All of the 108 clubs compete in this cup.
(Prestige Cup) (League Cup)
72 Clubs from the top divisions compete in this cup.
(Eliteligaen, Liga 2, Liga 3 and Mesterligaen)
Midgards Trofé(Named after Norse Mythology) (League Cup for lower divisions)
72 Clubs from the lower divisions compete in this cup.
(Liga 3, Mesterligaen, Regionsliga 2 and Regionsliga 3)
(Football Federation) (League Cup)
54 Clubs from the lowest divisions compete in this cup.
(Mesterligaen, Regionsliga 2 and Regionsliga 3)
Winners of Eliteligaen and Kongepokal compete in this cup.
- FACES! -Finally, our players have faces! I don't know about you but I'm pretty thrilled about this. It was challenging for me to apply the faces to this database but it does not matter, the credit goes to the authors of the NewGAN Face Mod. These people did a magnificent job, training artificial intelligence to generate faces for the players generated by the game as you progress. All I did was to figure out how to use their mod with my database. To be precise; 2268 faces are now included in the graphics of this mod.
- Other Changes -- Now players have random birthdates. I used to set every player to have the same birthdate as 17-18 years old. This was because there were limited amount of players, and I wanted to give you time to raise new players by the time the existing ones grow older. But this lead to a confusion amongst some people downloaded the mod, they thought this was an error. And now that the player-base is hugely increased that is not needed, and people can have random birthdates (except a couple of players whom I chose to be wonderkids).
- Players are now a bit weaker. Some people complained that the players were simply too good, and I agree with them. Ergo, I reduced the CA and PA of the existing players.
- VAR system has been added to Eliteligaen & Cups. But since I think referee review takes too much time, I setted it so there's only Remote View. No VAR system is present for the lower divisions but Goal Line Technology is utilized.
- Prize money based on the league position. And parachute money for the relegated clubs. I wasn't exactly a fan of this since money was never an issue for Morgsthian clubs, but now that the Palgavian clubs have arrived, their finances are not that strong, and they'll need it to compete with Morgsthian clubs. Competing in the top league is now more rewarding.
- Morges Forbund. Meaning: Morgsthian Federation. It is an agreement between Morgsthia and Palgavia. Right now, it doesn't do much as Palgavia too is a member of the EU, but it lays a foundation for possible future countries & regions. If I add other countries, this will probably come in handy. For example, in a case that a state is a part of the Kingdom but not a member of the EU, using this agreement I can treat the players of those countries as EU members, so the squad registration rules won't be applied for them.
- Maximum of 15 Non-EU players for Eliteligaen, 10 Non-EU players for Liga 2, 7 Non-EU players for Liga 3, 5 Non-EU players for Mesterligaen and below can be registered. And no more Work Permits. Maximum 30 players can be registered. I used to apply a work permit rule to ensure that other clubs don't go sign players below a potential ability of 100, so the quality of the football in the country would be preserved to some extent. But now we have weaker clubs and they will need to sign any players they can find Some of the new clubs aren't even at professional status yet.
- 4 Teams are playing for promotion play-off now instead of 6. I don't know why I was even letting 6 teams in the first place, but now it is like every other league.
- Minimum 20,000 stadium capacity is needed in Eliteligaen now. There were no such rule before.
- 4 Yellows = 1 Match Ban (and every 4 yellows = 1 match ban). When it was 1 match for every 2 yellow cards, it was really annoying. Now it is a bit more relaxed.
- Fair-Play is still important though. There's now a prize money for the 3 teams that pay attention to clean football.
- Last day of transfer experience for Eliteligaen. Now the screen turns yellow on the last day of transfer window, and it feels more dynamic and exciting.
- The database was made from scratch once again, and hopefully for the last time. I have simulated the game for 20 seasons without any problems a couple of times. And I don't think there'll be an error beyond that either. Morgsthia is still based on Luxembourg, and Palgavia is based on Ireland (pre-1922).
- DOWNLOAD -
from Google Drive
Just unzip the archive and put the Sports Interactive folder into your Documents. Confirm if it asks to change files. When you're starting a new game, you need to check the boxes for both files named "a_Dependency" and "b_Morgsthia_v4.0". Also a DB Setup is included, you can use that by accessing it from the left bottom in the league selection screen, to setup a new game, if you like.
And as always, any kind of feedback & questions are welcome.
Good luck and have fun.
Discussion: Morgsthia FM23 - Big Update (2nd Country is Here)
11 comments have been posted so far.
Have you ever considered creating a Scandinavian Super League? A league on top of the Danish, Swedish and Norwegian league - perhaps Icelandic and Finnish as well. One to rival the bigger leagues of the world.
I was thinking about the same you did with using Kazakhstan once again as a place for that east side of map, just you know in identical way you did now, but only with different league rules instead of that 16, 18 or 20 teams in league making one bigger with 30-32 teams just split into in two groups/conferences, and maybe creating some feeder league/leagues below. The only difference would be that in MLS there ain't relegations but here you could make it that the lowest ranked one-two teams from each group/conference would be relegated and some teams would qualify from the lower tier in their place.
@BartySo Thank you, I'm really flattered, but I don't think I'm talented at all, these are all simple stuff anyone can do if bury enough time in it. It sounds interesting, but I probably won't be doing that, sorry. It sounds like something beyond my editing skills to create two playable nations on different continents, sharing a same league, I'm not sure if it would even be possible if anyone try.
Another thing is, I think there are still things to do with my own project and it is already really time consuming. Though, I know it is not the same, but I do plan to bring imaginary extensions of different nations into the kingdom as well. When I started doing Palgavia, I was thinking of making it a small Turkic country, sounded like an interesting idea. But then I realized that, I haven't really did anything to represent the Finnish part of Scandinavia, so the country changed direction. I probably did a very lousy job about turning into something of Finnish descent, but I guess it's the thought what's counted, this time.
I'm not sure when, and I'm not sure if it will be any time soon, but there are a couple of ideas on my mind. And doing a small Turkic country is one of them, and since you talked about Siberia, we also got a small autonomous Turkic country in Siberia as well (named Altai Republic), maybe I can combine those.
But this actually made me thinking what if someone talented in many aspects as you, would turn now banned Russia, into some not-banned fictional country, maybe even splitting it that european part would be country A, and that from Siberia to east would be country B with own national team.
They can have one league but with MLS-style league system?
Just think about it! Or just for next project don't limit yourself to 'small land'.
I think perfect thing would be to place league reputation on places like 9-13, maybe even 14.
And for national team I would make sure they are at best team which is capable to play at world cup but going out of group stage would be already a success. Then the whole "build" a nation save would be wonderful, as well as trying to bring league into top 5 or at least 6-7 to make sure that champion automatically qualifies to Champions League group stage.
Just curious on how you used Newgan on this players as i want to keep using it when regens start to come in.
Just curious on how you used Newgan on this players as i want to keep using it when regens start to come in.
And as for the backroom-staff, yes you're right, they are godlike. That's really because of a personal preference. When I play the game I find it really hard to find staff members that are good, and it really annoys me. And you can't bring out your clubs' potential unless you have good staff. Bur I'll consider giving a touch to that in the future.
The whole system of leagues is very good and the creation of logos, player faces, team kits and given names, give it a good immersion and an interesting touch.
But I have found, at least for me, important drawbacks:
The players and the two nations are world powers...we are talking about the best of the best, and that in my view breaks the game and loses all the fun. It would be much better if the level was much lower in terms of the quality of the players and the potential they can achieve.
And that's not all, the employees of the clubs are all Actual Quality and Potential Quality 200 and 200, they are all clones. People are different, with the good and the bad.
How is it possible that you gave 20 to everything? including their specialty and mental, and giving 1 to values you didn't want to make sure they were all rotissimo employees.
If you did something more realistic, equating the made-up country to a level like its neighbors Iceland and allowing someone to do a Nation Development Challenge and take Morgsthia and Palgavia to another level.
But they are all the characters created god level and that breaks the fun of the game and the difficulty, making the game boring