# JI123 : ryan babel has a worldwide rep.
that speaks for itself
What do you mean?
After completing the half-season demo of fm2012, I have to say that I am quite satisfied with the game overall. The feature I like most (even though I haven't tried it) is that you can add new nations after starting your game. Sometimes I only pick a few nations because I don't want to slow down my game, but regret that I didn't choose some nations. On the other hand I sometimes regret adding too many nations as it slows down the game. This new features will enable players to adjust it during a game
Though I haven't seen the new regens yet, I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed with the new youth system. I didn't really see any big additions in this field, apart from the possibility to improve some new youngster academy thing or so in the boardroom..
A few features I really don't like about regens are:
1) The fact that regens sometimes appear at higher ages. I had one AMAZING player, but he was 21 (!!) when he generated. I think it is just a shame that you are unable to sign the players at a very young age and adjust their play style to your team.
2) Add a youth academy. Despite the fact that you already 'have' a youth academy in FM, you cannot do anything with it, and improving it does not seem to improve the kind of regens you will get. This would work perfectly together with my first point, as the young regens could flow into this academy and can then be funneled through your U19s team to your first team.
3) Recruitment-feeder teams. I don't know what to do with them. I have never gotten any good regens from feeder teams.
4) Tutoring. Why are you only allowed to tutor a youngster once? And only for a few months? Robin van Persie, for example, was tutored by Dennis Bergkamp at Arsenal all the time until Bergkamp retired and I am sure this was a great benefit to his game. I want to have more influence tutoring, and especially make me able to change tutoring easily. At the moment, you have to wait until the tutoring is over and then wait for the option to appear again, until you can ask the older player to tutor another youngster.
5) Transfers. We haven't been able to try an entire season yet, and therefore not been able to experience a full-money transfer window (since in the first year you only get a bit of the normal transfer money), so I hope this will be improved in fm2012: transfers happen too little. SI needs to add some kind of catalyst to the transfers, as they definitely do not reflect real world transfers. Big transfers should happen more often and for some reason, there are certain players who seem to never leave their clubs, whereas in real life it is rare for players to play almost their entire career at one club. This might have to do with my following point.
6) SI, whyyy did you not remove the "I do not want to go into contract negotiations"?! It appears WAY too often. In real football, almost every player is willing to go to another club, once his club has accepted the transfer offer (Even a big player like Eto'o went to Russia!). In football manager, on the other hand, it often seems to be impossible to sign players unless you already have a massive reputation. In real life, players take into account the expected increase in reputation of clubs. Examples of these clubs are Malaga, Man City and Anji. Because players knew/know that these clubs would/will greatly approve in stature in the following years, they decided to take the money and help to bring the club to the top. Also rival-transfers seem to be nonexistent in FM, which makes it very tough to do transfers in competitions where all the top teams are each others rivals.. Maybe in Spain the rivalry between Real and Barca is big enough to prevent transfers, but certainly not in my country where every team will sell their players to their rivals, as long as there is enough money coming from the other direction To recap, feature is really a game-ruiner for me, especially when you just KNOW that a player would go to your club if they would see your offer...
7) Potential Ability. If you think about it, PA makes no sense at all. Even though physical aspects of a player might have their capacity, this surely doesn't go for technical and mental attributes, let alone some artificial cap for their "Overall skill". What you see now in FM, is that players progress rapidly until their 22nd or so (differs from player to player) and then stop completely with progressing.
I think Potential ability should be removed as a whole and be replaced by a form of dynamic "Progress Rate" that limits the speed at which players progress and will be overtaken by the downgrade once a player becomes too old. This progress rate should be similar to the progress rate that is already in FM, but it should be more dynamic, as it currently strongly depends on the stats "ambition" and "Professionalism" which are completely static.
By removing PA, scouts will be unable to "See into the future" and predict how good players will become, but will only be able to see the current ability of a player, their personality and how well the player would fit into your team. This would make FM much more realistic.
In short: the current progress rate system is okay (but could use some improvements), as long as a players CA does not come near it's PA. Because, when that happens, some invisible barrier prevents him from improving. This barrier could be removed by making the progress rate much more dynamic and letting it be overtaken by the physical downgrade once a player becomes older. This would also make scouting more realistic.
Another great benefit of this feature is that essentially, every player can become a star, as long as he has the motivation and gets the opportunity to improve greatly. These factors should be balanced such that the amount of star players will reflect the real world and not become outrageously large, of course.
8) Current ability. No I am not suggesting for current ability to be removed, but I think there can be some improvements. As it is way too static. Take for example Kaká. He used to be extremely good, but at Real he was unable to reach his previous level. To compensate this, SI lowered his current ability in FM. So imagine that Kaká suddenly gets his old form back (which is quite possible if you see how he is performing lately). Then how could this happen in FM? No you are right, it can't! Because CA cannot change that quickly in FM.
I think this is a real shame, and it should be considered to add a new feature such that players are able to have a "dip" or "great run of form", after which they get back to their previous form. This could be done by either brining a bigger role for "form" or making CA much more flexible.
Sorry for the wall of text guys! I didn't think it would become as long I would like to hear your opinions on these points!