Community Shield: Back on the Pitch
: So glad you could join us today again, Gary!
: No problem, Niall, I wouldn't miss this match!
: Welcome to the Wembley Stadium, where we see the Premier League title winners, Tottenham, and the FA Cup holders, Queens Park Rangers, face off against each other today for the Community Shield.
: Right you are, Niall!
: Both sides are capable of springing plenty of surprises, so I think we're in for a good match.
: It should be worth noting though, that in their last Premier League fixture against each other, Queens Park Rangers beat Tottenham 1-0.
: Right, Gary... This will be interesting! Now let's take a look at the line-ups for today.
: On QPR's side is Julio Cesar in goal. Bosingwa at right-back, and their summer acquisition Stephen Warnock at left-back. Doria and Stephane Mbia enforces the defense, and Samba Diakite as a defensive midfielder. The absence of Nedum Onuoha through injury could have a big impact on this.
: Joey Barton, who has recently returned on loan from Marseille in France gets a surprise start today alongside Alejandro Faurlin in central midfield. Park Ji-Sung and Junior Hoilett operate on either wing and Djibril Cisse leads the attack.
: Now to Tottenham. Lloris in goal as usual and the title-winning back-four of Walker, Dawson, Kaboul, and Assou-Ekotto. Vurnon Anita, signed from Newcastle, starts in defensive midfield as well as fellow summer signing Felipe Melo. The Brazilian signed from Juventus this summer will start in central midfield alongside Tottenham talisman Sandro.
: Argentinians Jose Sosa and another summer signing Nicolas Gaitan will be on both wings. The ever reliable Jermaine Defoe will look to score a few goals today.
: I think both sides have a strong first eleven but Tottenham definitely has stronger players. However it's not always the strongest side that wins.
: Now, to kickoff!
1' - Hello, and welcome to Wembley Stadium, as we kick off Queens Park Rangers vs Tottenham in this season curtain-raiser.
2' - And of course, the one who picks up the first foul and warning is none other than Joey Barton, just two minutes after his return to English football.
31' - Barton is shown a yellow card... his aggressiveness hasn't changed, eh?
40' - Stephane Mbia looks to have picked up a knock after clashing with Vurnon Anita... but it looks as if he can continue.
43' - Joey Barton is at the center of attention again as he picks up a knock as well.
- A bit of beautiful passing football finds Assou-Ekotto and the Tottenham left-back slots it coolly into the net past Julio Cesar!
45' - HT: QPR 0-1 Tottenham, the Spurs lead at the break through Assou-Ekotto's goal.
45' - Andriy Shevchenko decides to make three substitutions at the break, with Adam Campbell, Adel Taarabt and Junior Hoilett coming on for Djibril Cisse, Park Ji-Sung, and Wellington Nem. Hoilett is supposed to be on international duty, but it seems he has decided to put his club ahead of his country.
- Adel Taarabt and Alejandro Faurlin play a one-two, and Faurlin plays Adam Campbell through... the QPR record signing rushes into the box, and with no defenders tending to him, Campbell blasts it fiercely into the goal past Hugo Lloris! Not a bad way to introduce himself at all!
69' - Emmanuel Adebayor is on for Jermaine Defoe.
75' - Martin Olsson comes on for Assou-Ekotto and Sigurdsson comes on for Felipe Melo.
81' - Lloris' goal kick sails to Martin Olsson, and left dangerously unmarked, the Swede manages to charge at goal and fire a shot, but Julio Cesar doesn't even have to do a thing as the ball goes wide off the mark. Embarrassing miss.
90' - FT: QPR 1-1 Tottenham, and it looks like this will go to penalty shootouts.
- Adel Taarabt fires it easily past Hugo Lloris.
- Emmanuel Adebayor also takes his penalty easily, putting it into the back of the net.
- Alejandro Faurlin's penalty is saved by Hugo Lloris!
- Sigurdsson makes no mistake and puts his ball into the net.
- Joey Barton takes his first penalty for Queens Park Rangers, and he scores!
- Jose Sosa makes Julio Cesar go the wrong way as he shoots it into the back of the net, and he looks rather pleased with himself.
- Junior Hoilett misses his penalty!
- And it's all over for Queens Park Rangers as Younes Kaboul slots in his penalty! Tottenham have won the Community Shield!