Part 2 - The Match
GM: Thanks Gary and welcome everyone to the beautiful Estádio do Maracanã where tonight we will see who will win the 2014 World Cup out of England and Switzerland, alongside me I'm joined by former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson, so Mark, as we wait for the teams to come out, how do you see this one panning out?
ML: Well Guy, I can't look beyond an England win, they've been very good throughout the whole tournament and I see them overcoming the tricky task they have in-front of them, Switzerland.
GM: Yep, Switzerland have been in very good form this year and by no means will this be an easy task for England, they will need to continue their good form and be alert to win this match.
And as the teams come out, listen to that huge roar, both sets of fans know that history can be made here tonight, but will it be England or Switzerland holding the trophy at the end of the game? It's time to find out.
For England, Hodgson names a few changes from the game against France, with Kyle Walker, Phil Jagielka, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wayne Rooney being called back up into the first team.
As for Switzerland, they name the same side that beat Portugal on penalties in the semi-finals, however Xherdan Shaqiri is the only forced change as he injured himself during the match against Portugal.
Ovidiu Ha?egan is our official for today's final and is about to set us on the way.
- KICK OFF -
GM: So, here we go, England kick us off for this years 2014 World Cup Final!
2) GM: Adam Lallana receives the ball from Steven Gerrard, Ziegler allows him to turn, Lallana is advancing, Chamberlain is advancing to his left, he needs to pick him out... and does so! Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is in the space, he plays it back to the advanced Gerrard, Gerrard with the touch, he tries to find the top corner.... oh! A great fingertip save by Benaglio saves Switzerland from conceding an early goal.
4) GM: Jones has the ball, he plays it to Wilshere, if he looks up he can see Lallana in some space, he passes it to Lallana, who taps it back to Wilshere, Rooney is unmarked if he can pick him out, Wilshere lays it off to Gerrard, who precisely plays it to Rooney... Rooney on the turn.... AND ROONEY SCORES!!!!! THE ENGLAND CROWD ARE ROCKING! WAYNE ROONEY HAS SCORED FOR ENGLAND WHICH COULD SEND THEM TO WORLD CUP VICTORY!
ML: What great play by Gerrard, his ability to pick out Rooney from that distance is astonishing, but Rooney still had a lot to do and he got his first touch spot on, and the connection he made with the ball was clean and it was an excellent finish past the keeper.
GM: Rooney's goal could lead England to the World Cup trophy! It's 1-0 England!
12) GM: Stocker is on the ball, he has enough space to look up, and oh, Xhaka has lots of space if he can pick him out, Stocker plays it to Xhaka, who hits it on the volley.... and it's over the bar, good effort from the Swiss winger.
20) GM: England have possession with Gerrard, the captain plays it back to Jagielka, Jagielka to Wilshere, Wilshere dribbles on forward and plays it to Lallana, Lallana back to Wilshere, this is good passing play by England, Wilshere plays it up field to Chamberlain, who taps the ball into the feet of Wayne Rooney, who touches it back to Wilshere who shoots.... ooh! just wide!
38) GM: Switzerland have the ball, Xhaka has dropped deep to collect it, he tries to play it to Nikci, but Phil Jones intercepts, he can play in Lallana if he gets his pass right! He plays it to Lallana, who can knock it round Bergen, which he does, Bergen tries to recover and slides into Lallana... and he goes down! That's surely a penalty! The England players are protesting but the referee clearly says that its not a foul! What a bad decision!
ML: That's clearly a foul! You could even see it from up here! That's an absolute shocker from the referee!
GM: Switzerland have got lucky there! It was a stone wall penalty!
45) GM: And that's the end of the first half, England are ahead but they should have had a penalty, it was so clear!
HT: England 1 - 0 Switzerland
45) GM: And the referee restarts the game for the second half with England leading through Wayne Rooney's goal.
50) GM: Rooney has the ball, he plays it to Gerrard, Gerrard advances on forward and gets hacked down by Bergen, free-kick to England which is at shooting range. Gerrard places down to ball, however Wayne Rooney is stood the other side of Gerrard, will it be Gerrard or Rooney to take this... Rooney runs up and jumps over the ball, Gerrard smashes it and oh! I say! Against the crossbar!
ML: Great technique from Gerrard there Guy, so unfortunate!
GM: That was Gerrard's moment, Mark, if he scored that then England would be in a more more comfortable position.
66) GM: The game has lost its tempo as Phil Jones has possession for England, he plays it to Walker, who plays it back to Jones. Jones passes it to the advancing Baines, who passes it infield towards Wilshere, Wilshere can drive at the Swiss back four, he weaves in and out of the defence before finding Rooney!!!!!! And he drags his shot wide...
ML: Great build up play there but a really disappointing finish my Rooney, he's already got one today which was a much harder chance.
72) GM: Switzerland have possession, they need to do something with it quickly or they'll never get back into this game. Stocker has possession, he decides to ignore his team mates as he runs at the England midfield, he takes it around Gerrard, flicks it past Jones, he's one-on-one with Baines, who he easily beats, Stocker is still going, he cuts inside on his left foot and forces a neat save out of Joe Hart! Great run by Stocker!
ML: England need to be careful, looking at the defending, it was very poor and they must not lose their concentration now at the pivotal moment or Switzerland could easily level up the game.
80) GM: Caulker has the ball in his own half, he plays it forward to Jones but Stocker is lively and intercepts! Stocker is against Caulker, who he beats, he's one-on-one with Joe Hart! Stocker shoots.....! And Joe Hart is able to use his leg and block the shot! Exceptional save by the England number one! Remarkable!
84) GM: Switzerland are really pushing England now, Khalifa is on the ball, but he turns into trouble and Jones gets possession, he plays a lovely ball to Rooney who is only against Rodriguez! The whole of Switzerland defence and midfield are up the pitch! Rooney shrugs off the challenge of Rodriguez! He only has Benagilo to beat! Rooney.....! HE HAS DONE IT! WAYNE ROONEY HAS WON THE WORLD CUP FOR ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD! I CAN'T BREATHE! WE'VE WON THE CUP!!!!!!!!!!!
ML: OH MY WORD! WHAT A FINISH WAYNE! TERRIFIC!
GM: WAYNE ROONEY HAS SURELY WON THE WORLD CUP FOR ENGLAND NOW!
You can hear the cheers around the stadium! England need to keep their cool and secure the victory, there are only 6 minutes to play!
90+2) GM: Switzerland are pushing, Stocker is on the ball, he's always a threat, he turns and runs against the England midfield, he plays it into the box, Joe Hart comes running out and catches it!
THE REFEREE HAS BLOWN THE WHISTLE! ENGLAND HAVE WON THE WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!