Capital One Cup Final 2017
: Welcome to Wembley Stadium! Today, the great home of English football hosts two sides - Aston Villa, and Cardiff City, for the prestigious Capital One Cup Final. Villa will be looking to defend their cup, having won it last year against Norwich, while Cardiff will hope to secure their first ever League Cup history today. Beside me here, for this interesting match, will be Sky pundit, England coach, and former Manchester United captain, Gary Neville.
: Thank you, Martin!
: Let's look at the line-ups for the Final!
: Marshall; Hutton, Turner, Bartley, Easton; Pintado, Mutch, Akpan, Figueroa; Magera, Mason
: Bardi; Chini, Clark, Vlaar, Romero; Delph, Marilia, Blanco; Nem, Mattheus; Fierro
: Cardiff have chosen to field one of their strongest eleven. David Marshall, always vital for Cardiff between the sticks will keep goal as usual today, and former Aston Villa player Alan Hutton will start for Cardiff. Ben Turner and Kyle Bartley have established themselves as one of the best defensive partnerships in the Championship and it'll be up to them to stop Carlos Fierro today. Lastly at left-back we have Brian Easton, who can cause massive problems for wingers on his day.
: Pintado, on loan at Cardiff from Napoli this season, has bags of potential and has been used as nothing more than a rotation player at Cardiff this season, but he'll be starting the match, an interesting decision from Michael Appleton. Jordon Mutch will be key for Cardiff in central midfield today and interestingly, his midfield partner of the day will be Hope Akpan who hasn't played a single Championship game for Cardiff since his arrival in the summer. Maynor Figueroa will be at left midfield for the match and the Villa full-backs will have to watch out for him.
: Lukas Magera has been in amazing form for Cardiff this season despite being at the age of 34 and it's no wonder he's playing today. It'll be his last chance to get a trophy with Cardiff. He's set to leave when his contract expires in the summer.
: Spearheading the attack will be the fearsome Joe Mason, whose finishing ability is feared throughout the Championship!
: Moving on to Aston Villa, Francesco Bardi will have the chance to win his first trophy with Villa. Ciaran Clark, Ron Vlaar and John Romero start in defense. 18-year-old youngster Walter Chini is also set to play his first ever game for Aston Villa with the absence of Andrew Black and Yuto Nagatomo through injury.
: A trophy in his first game, that would be brilliant.
: Indeed, Gary!
: A three-man midfield of Fabian Delph, Marilia and Jesus Blanco has been fielded, and these three will be causing a lot of problems for Cardiff. Wellington Nem and Mattheus will be playing on the wings while Carlos Fierro is in the striker position as usual. Some great squads being played today!
: Let's move on to the match.
- Welcome to Wembley Stadium, for the Capital One Cup Final clash between Aston Villa, and Cardiff City.
- WHAT A HORRIBLE MISTAKE BY FRANCESCO BARDI! The Italian goalie saves a shot from Jordon Mutch but lets the ball slip from his grasp, and Joe Mason is there to apply the finish! What an early goal! We have a feeling Bardi won't be getting any nice words from David Beckham at half-time!
- Brilliant run from Jesus Blanco as he goes round three Cardiff men to strike the ball towards goal from 30 yards, but David Marshall pulls off a magnificent save to deny the Paraguayan.
- HT: Cardiff 1-0 Aston Villa. A horrible showing from Villa so far, and their confidence seems to have been drained from Mason's goal and Bardi's mistake. It'll be up to Beckham to revitalize the team at half-time.
- Welcome back to the Wembley Stadium. Villa have made one change, with Turkish international Gokmen Hacieyupoglu coming on for Wellington Nem, who has been playing below average so far.
- Great passing football from the Villa players and it ends with Carlos Fierro firing a shot, but David Marshall saves!
- Will Hughes and Adam Campbell come on for Fabian Delph and Carlos Fierro respectively.
- PENALTY! Brian Easton brings down Gokmen Hacieyupoglu in the box! A chance for Villa! Jesus Blanco will take this penalty. Will he score?
- YES HE WILL! A fantastic penalty as Blanco slots it coolly into the bottom left corner! Villa have equalized! Game on!
- FT: Cardiff 1-1 Aston Villa. It'll go into extra time, then.
- Welcome back for the first half of extra time. Cardiff come out with their first two substitutions, with Joey O'Brien coming on for Lukas Magera, who has had a wonderful game so far, and Jose Fonte coming on for Kyle Bartley.
- HT in Extra Time: Cardiff 1-1 Aston Villa.
- We are back, for the final 15 minutes of the Capital One Cup Final.
- And that's it! The match will go to PENALTIES!
- Alright, the players are scattering from the center circle. David Beckham and Michael Appleton have decided their first five takers. It's on! Cardiff will go first.
- Ryo Miyaichi shoots it... into the crossbar!
- Gokmen Hacie does not waver and scores his first penalty for Aston Villa. Sublime finish.
- Maynor Figueroa is denied by Francesco Bardi!
- Jesus Blanco repeats his heroics from earlier, fooling David Marshall for a dive to the left before hitting it fiercely to the right. Great shot!
- Cardiff finally get their first shot in thanks to Joe Mason, who beats Bardi to shoot the ball into the top left.
- John Romero is up next for Aston Villa, and David Marshall pulls off a superb save to deny the Colombia international.
- Bardi tries to put Jose Fonte off, but fails as the former Saints defender hits it cleanly into the bottom right.
- Will Hughes hits it into the center of the net as Marshall dives to the right.
- Hope Akpan's penalty is SAVED by Francesco Bardi, AND THAT'S IT! 2-3 ON PENALTIES! ASTON VILLA HAVE WON THE CAPITAL ONE CUP, FOR THE SECOND SEASON IN A ROW! WHAT A BRILLIANT SAVE BY BARDI, AND HOW VITAL IT WAS! VILLA FANS WILL BE PARTYING THROUGH THE NIGHT!